3D CHARACTER HAIR

Modelling the hair of anime characters is something I saw about two ways of doing it in the initial investigation, one is to create the rough shape by pulling it directly through a plane and creating it in chunks, this method is usually suitable for simple hairstyles and having only a single colour. The other way is to create a strand of hair by sampling a plane through a path and turning it into a three dimensional shape, adjusting the shape of the hair piece through the nodes.

After trying both methods I chose the second one, the first time I tried it I didn’t know the cross-section of the anime hairstyle so I made a realistic texture, although the overall shape is similar to the original drawing and the effect makes the hair look like it’s sticking up, but it’s very strange to coordinate with the face and it doesn’t look like the original anime style modelling.

After investigating a range of anime modelling I altered the cross-section to make it triangular, triangles mimic the texture of the original 2d drawings to the fullest extent possible and allow the hairstyle to have a certain amount of dimensionality without being too realistic. When adjusting through the nodes, there are no creases that would have appeared in the previous irregular cross-section.

The final product is made up of three layers of hair stacked on top of each other, a layer of red colour on the scalp for base and to cover the hairline, a layer of medium length short hair to enrich the layers and to make the upturned part in the character’s hairstyle, and the top layer to make the overall shape and silhouette. The ponytail coiffure and the irregular hair on the forehead are modelled separately.