3D WALLS and FLOORS

My earliest vision of the wall was a rectangular wall and had an observation window in the centre as well as a searchlight near the observation window. So I made a test version and roughly based on the lighting at first, and also put on some designed patterns and light spots, and while it worked well and also appeared to be a very tall wall, probably because the contrast between the wall and the building wasn’t dramatic enough, it appeared as if the whole scene was made to look like it was in a shoebox. So this scenario was abandoned.

I redesigned the sketches because the previous design didn’t work well. Although it’s rather brown but the overall effect is still there, I envisioned the visual guide from high to low from far to near, so I made a design that warps up with reference to traditional Chinese house gates, so as to guide people’s vision through the various parts of the building all the way to the gate.

The side of the house remains the same rectangular shape but may need some more details, and may refer to some of the buildings that are built on the Chinese style walls. While keeping the traditional design, there are also references to futuristic colours and materials.

For the second version, I used the same structure as in the sketch, with a lot of gold decorative stripes and a space for the display material. This version works very well at night, and the overall composition is better than the rectangular wall of the previous version, but it is still not enough of a guide, as the centre bulge extends towards the centre rather than downwards. The side as a screen is again rather noisy and doesn’t keep everyone’s attention focused on the door frame in the centre, so the second design also fails.

In the third version of the design, I found a previous photo of a Chinese railway station, the facade of this railway station is supported by several columns made of bronze-like material, but at the same time he kept the shape of the heritage as well as the guide, so that the whole column looks like a flower blooming from the ground to the roof. And there is the right sparseness for decoration, and also the right structure that can be altered to become the facade.

So in the third version of the design, I changed the action before the structure to make him a little more warped, and added the train station almost the same structure, at the same time let the structure look more like the pattern above the door, also extended a little bit of the middle of the structure, he looks like a beam, and next to the two with the middle of the warped angle similar to the towers. The colours are references to traditional Chinese houses, as this place is close to houses in terms of backstory, so he doesn’t fit the standard wall colours, as that would look stiff and too serious to match the scene.

In the back of the model, I made it roughly according to the diagram, and adjusted it according to the angle to make the whole model structurally sound.

After the production of the relevant materials, I imported it into the final scene, and added the lighting, the whole effect is exactly the same as the teacher suggested and I imagined, the overall guidance to the middle of the door plus the middle of the light, the human eye will be the first to notice the door.

As for the design of the ground, since most of the places are invisible to the people, many of them don’t really need very complicated design. My ground structure is a slope in the middle leading to a street consisting of two parallel, not very high steps next to the gate. The street can’t be seen in the final rendering, so I used some off-the-shelf materials such as squared slabs to darken it, and I planned to do some guiding on the road in the middle, leading to the gate, so I set the approximate colour to be light.

Light strips will be added in some squares, some flat areas as a little fun. So I added some light strips in the middle of the road to guide the scene, they will point to the centre of vision. At the same time, I changed the material to light colours and some patterns to make it less monotonous.